Author Topic: VOOM going off the air....CV to replace all 15 channels  (Read 10324 times)

mws192

• Veteran Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
VOOM going off the air....CV to replace all 15 channels
« on: December 18, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6624094.html?desc=topstory

Cablevision will replace the 15 Voom networks with other HD channels, with that transition most likely coming in late January

?We will replace these channels with other quality HD programming and there will be no reduction in the number of high-definition channels available to our iO TV customers,? a Cablevision spokesman said.

tvwatchingdude

• Lurker
Re: VOOM going off the air....CV to replace all 15 channels
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:06:39 PM »
PLEASE KEEP MONSTERS HD!

tvwatchingdude

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:07:02 PM »
Monsters HD is the only good thing about VOOM! PLEASE KEEP IT!

Erick

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:15:39 PM »
I agree. Monster HD was the only Voom channel I watched.  They should keep that one.

charliewatts

• Genius
  • Seasoned Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FIOS
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 10:10:47 PM »
RAVE is the only channel worth keeping!

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 10:29:03 PM »
What?   When are they going to announce the channels they are being replaced with?
Buba's Man Toys
  • Samsung LNT4061F - 40 inch HDTV
  • Samsung BD-P1500 - Blu-Ray Player
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • Samsung LN-T1954H - 19 inch HDTV
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

mws192

• Veteran Ranter
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 10:40:46 PM »
My first guess is that we're going to get a premium suite of channels like HBO/Cinemax.  Although I wouldn't be shocked if we picked up the Entertainment Studio's suite of six channels that launched back in Sept/Oct.  They're conceptually similar to VOOM and are also a good fit for SDV. 

It also coincides with the post by HBK409 that said we were getting 'Comedy hd' (not Comedy Central HD in mid January)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/cablevision-cable-forum/157895-new-channels-services.html#post1624427

More on Entertainment Studio's suite:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6597530.html?nid=2734&source=title&rid=

The new HD channels Cars.TV, Pets.TV, Comedy.TV, MyDestination.TV, ES.TV and Recipe.TV have been created by Entertainment Studios, which bills itself as the largest independent producer and distributor of first-run syndicated shows for TV stations.

standard

• Seasoned Ranter
    • Manhattan Ignition
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2008, 09:46:10 AM »
My first guess is that we're going to get a premium suite of channels like HBO/Cinemax.  Although I wouldn't be shocked if we picked up the Entertainment Studio's suite of six channels that launched back in Sept/Oct.  They're conceptually similar to VOOM and are also a good fit for SDV. 

It also coincides with the post by HBK409 that said we were getting 'Comedy hd' (not Comedy Central HD in mid January)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/cablevision-cable-forum/157895-new-channels-services.html#post1624427

More on Entertainment Studio's suite:

http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6597530.html?nid=2734&source=title&rid=

The new HD channels Cars.TV, Pets.TV, Comedy.TV, MyDestination.TV, ES.TV and Recipe.TV have been created by Entertainment Studios, which bills itself as the largest independent producer and distributor of first-run syndicated shows for TV stations.

That does make sense.  Maybe it will be a combination of them to read the 15 HD Channels.

In a way it is a step back for Cablevision though.  They will be adding 15 channels, but the total channel count will remain the same :(
Equipment
Sony KDL52W4100
Scientific Atlanta SA 8300HD
Sony KDL40V4100
Scientific Atlanta 4250HD
Scientific Atlanta 5120V

http://www.manign.com

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »
Can't be good for the Cablevision bottom line  >:(
Buba's Man Toys
  • Samsung LNT4061F - 40 inch HDTV
  • Samsung BD-P1500 - Blu-Ray Player
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • Samsung LN-T1954H - 19 inch HDTV
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

RemyM

• Welsh Terrier
  • Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2008, 10:23:44 AM »
Can't be good for the Cablevision bottom line  >:(

No, dropping a money losing venture is good for the bottom line.

charliewatts

• Genius
  • Seasoned Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FIOS
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 11:04:03 AM »
My first guess is that we're going to get a premium suite of channels like HBO/Cinemax.

I don't think so.

There is a net loss of 15 HD channels.  By adding HBO/MAX suite, basic subs won't get 15 new channels in replacement.

CableDude101

• Seasoned Ranter
    • http://www.cablerant.com
Cablevision to shut down Voom HD network in US
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 05:10:45 PM »
Cablevision to shut down Voom HD network in US

Cablevision Systems Corp. said Friday that it will pull the plug on its Voom HD Networks for U.S. markets in late January.

Voom, part of Cablevision's Rainbow Media Holdings unit, offers 15 high-definition channels featuring its own programming, including fashion, animation and extreme sports. The network is carried on Cablevision and, until last May, also was shown on satellite TV operator Dish Network Corp., which owns 20 percent of Voom.

Click below for more info
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jGe5TmRDHln3fc7Vpee5ipHUteewD955VFT02

Please also see existing thread in the Cablevision forum started by mws192 at:  http://www.cablerant.com/index.php?topic=1100.0
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 11:32:09 PM by TrueQAM »

RemyM

• Welsh Terrier
  • Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 08:59:02 AM »
They already pulled the plug on HD News (710).  According to my guide channel the rest of the VOOM channels will go away on 1/20/09.

PTRockstar

• Veteran Ranter
  • I have reached Rockstar Status
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2008, 08:04:34 PM »
I could really care less for HDNEWS (710) I rather watch NJ12 (12). RUSH HD & Monsters HD should be the only ones left up running the rest needs to be replaced

zach01

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 01:16:59 AM »
They need to replace RAVE. I love the fact that now I can watch a concert any time I want. I may not always love the bands, but they have turned me on to some new music.

e2727

• You've been Egg'd by vz_grunt
  • New Ranter
Re: Cablevision to shut down Voom HD network in US
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 01:17:10 PM »
I hope we get MGMHD to replce the Voom movie channels

bjc624

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2008, 11:19:18 AM »
With the demise of the Voom Channels, the actual number of hours of HD programming on Cablevision will drop by at least fifty percent. Remember, these channels were HD all the time. Their replacements will probably have limited HD content. Adding more premium movie channels in HD could offset this problem but I suspect they will not be part of the basic package.

robertf390

• New Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 01:00:41 PM »
Losing the VOOM channels is upsetting to me. The programming was unique and offered something you could not get anywhere else - and in HD 24/7. Having VOOM was one of the primary reasons for my staying with Cablevision. I completely understand the rationale for closing - clearly the business model of no advertising and the loss of DISH had to be substantial. I thought when they moved these to SDV they were setting up a process to charge extra for these channels to keep them going. But then again, I guess the writing was on the wall with all the "Channel Not Available" issues.

Does anyone know other than speculating what Cablevision will be replacing these with. If it is anything like the MTV additions (with virtually no HD programming), I'll be gone. The one channel that did offer HD programming with the MTV batch (Palladia) was the one they decided to omit.

Cablevision has committed to maintaining the HD channel count. We have already lost HD News along with MOJO this month - it will be interesting where Cablevision goes with the new selections. Come January 20th we'll find out. Those 6 new services mentioned sound interesting.

I am hoping for adding the following: MGM. Smithsonian, Palladia, A&E, History, BIO, WGN, Encore, NBA, Tennis, HBO/SHO/MAX/Strz/TMC suites.

Happy Holidays everyone.

PTRockstar

• Veteran Ranter
  • I have reached Rockstar Status
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 08:27:36 PM »
Losing the VOOM channels is upsetting to me. The programming was unique and offered something you could not get anywhere else - and in HD 24/7. Having VOOM was one of the primary reasons for my staying with Cablevision. I completely understand the rationale for closing - clearly the business model of no advertising and the loss of DISH had to be substantial. I thought when they moved these to SDV they were setting up a process to charge extra for these channels to keep them going. But then again, I guess the writing was on the wall with all the "Channel Not Available" issues.

Does anyone know other than speculating what Cablevision will be replacing these with. If it is anything like the MTV additions (with virtually no HD programming), I'll be gone. The one channel that did offer HD programming with the MTV batch (Palladia) was the one they decided to omit.

Cablevision has committed to maintaining the HD channel count. We have already lost HD News along with MOJO this month - it will be interesting where Cablevision goes with the new selections. Come January 20th we'll find out. Those 6 new services mentioned sound interesting.

I am hoping for adding the following: MGM. Smithsonian, Palladia, A&E, History, BIO, WGN, Encore, NBA, Tennis, HBO/SHO/MAX/Strz/TMC suites.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Out of all those you listed I do hope we get: MGM, Palladia, BIO, WGN, Encore,& HBO/SHO/MAX/Strz/TMC suites.

Dat would be sweet!

Mike59

• New Ranter
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 12:23:18 PM »
Please keep RAVE. They had a new Stevie Nicks concert on last night  :)