Author Topic: HDMI ISSUES ANY KNOWN ISSUES  (Read 4077 times)

G-QAMreboot

• New Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner Cable
HDMI ISSUES ANY KNOWN ISSUES
« on: December 18, 2007, 09:19:58 PM »
Just figured id start a thread on HDMI and how wonderful they are when they work, and how unwonderful they are when they dont.
Heres what I got. There is a customer that I have dubbed " super giant bitch from Upstate NY" AKA"SGBUNY" when you see "SGBUNY" this is who i am reffering to . OK so "SGBUNY" has turned out to be the biggest  "C U Next Tuesday " in the history of the world.She has 2 SONY XBR4 40 inch LCD TV's. Using HDMI from our cable box to her TVs. "SGBUNY" does not accept the fact our company DOES NOT support HDMI. The ports work , but on some tv's they have issues....SONY XBR4 to be exact. The audio on "SGBUNY"'s TV will randomly cut in and out, while using the COMPONET cables it is fine and there are no problems...... but this is "SGBUNY" and that answer/ resolution will not work. She has filed 3 PSC complaints this year... Did i mention she works for a competitor, yet ddoesnt have their service.. ANY WAY
WHile she was busy calling the guy at Circut City a liar and a theif cause he sold her the $100 a piece cables . The guy on the phone says " like i have told you before.There is a known issue with sony XBR 3 and XBR4 tvs and Scientific Atlanta cable boxes.He says have the cable tech try a PACE digital box.( the mere mention of PACE digboxes make me shart in my pants) "SGBUNY" decides this is what i need to do .
So she has had Scientific Atlanta 3250HD,4250HD and 4250HDC and DVR8000,8300 and 8300 HDC and now a pace HD  box . ALL with the same issues, she has had reps from Circut City and SONY tell her that its a issue that cant really be fixed due to different electronics in differtnt Tv's and all that crap. I know i cant change the fact shes "SGBUNY" , anyone  have any other ideas on what else to try. Please keep in mind she never wants to have to do anything  to help. So she doesnt want to reboot anything or otry anything , just have us come out  so she can be a bitch. Thanks for any input

Comcast_Rocks

• Veteran Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Comcast
Re: HDMI ISSUES ANY KNOWN ISSUES
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 11:14:27 PM »
I've never had the luxury of having this issue with these models, but I have heard horror stories from other techs.
They say it is basically and issue with the HDMI Handshake (when the two devices talk to each other for the first time).
I've heard this happens a lot with the SA 8300HD DVR and HDMI wires pre-HDMI 1.2.
Cable Box:  Motorola DCT-6412 Phase III

disgusted

• Seasoned Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 11:30:45 PM »
I've heard of the issue too with the SA8300 HD, but never had it myself.
Maybe of the other folks in Cablevision has had this issue before.
I know we use the SA8300 HD
HD STB:  SA 4250HD
HD DVR:  SA 8300HD
Modem:  SA 5120V

ExCoxTier2

• New Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Cox
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 04:54:12 AM »
Here's an idea, you should tell her to get a life, then once she has that life, you should tell her to end it, because if she procreates, the world will have one more bitch, and the world is better off without people like her.
<xterm> The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

InstallerTechJames

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007, 12:18:53 PM »
Ocrap (OCAP i mean) are garbage in my opinion. They rushed all these new boxes out to the customers and expect them to work and then have the mindset of "we will fix issues as the arise" but i mean thats money lost for all the time spent of repeatedly sending techs out to fix issues they cant especially when it comes down to software issues and programming out of the head end and in the end its just wasting everyones times and money.

CLENOCHS

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 07:40:48 PM »
I have been a service tech for 40 years.  I have heard all the complaints from service techs and customers. The one thing that I have found over the years is that when a customer has a complaint, it is usually legitimate. I would say 99.9% of the time. If you cannot find the problem don't blame the customer. You need to do the best job you can and if you can't find the answer tell the customer that you are at a loss, but you will try to find an answer to her problem and then keep in touch with her. Calling the customer names will not solve her problem or yours.

CLENOCHS

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 09:55:22 PM »
I didn't say that I was a cable tech since 1968, I said that I was a service tech. I started with Victor Comptometer in 1967 working on electro mech calculators and went into electronics in 1969. From there I went into programming and copiers. Then into computers and networking,back in the days of lantastic. I was a service manager for 20 years . What I'm saying is that when a customer has a problem, it is usually a real problem, even if it my have been created by the customer themselves. I feel it is our duty to do the best we can,under any circumstances without trying to lay the blame on the customer. I do agree with your % and feel the same way you do, but we have to be big enough to do our jobs without laying the blame on others.

William D

• Chief Editor
  • Seasoned Ranter
    • Cable Rant
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 11:41:53 PM »
CLENOCHS,

Wow, you have had a very long career.
You must of lots of experience and job knowledge.
We're happy you joined the site and look forward to learning from you and hearing what you have to share.

TrueQAM
CableRant.com - Thank you for visiting

Comcast_Rocks

• Veteran Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Comcast
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 04:19:39 PM »
Speaking of HDMI issues, another problem I see if the fact we give out Component Wires to our customers instead of HDMI issues.
So many customer complain about not getting the same picture quality they saw in the store on their new HD TV.
Almost every time, I encounter this issue, they are using Component Wires instead of HDMI.
Sure, Component Wires will give you 1080i, but it isn't digital and the sound is still the same crappy analog RCA stereo jacks.
Component Wires were not made of HD.
Switching to HDMI almost always cures their issues.

Its partially our fault though too.  We give out Component Wires instead of HDMI wires with boxes.
I know it is to save money, but long term it would be better for customers.
From what I have heard, Verizon is giving HDMI wires out for free to FIOS customers, although I cannot confirm it.
Anyone heard anything?
Cable Box:  Motorola DCT-6412 Phase III

snake6869

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2008, 09:17:55 PM »
i see you guys talk about the vizio tv and not working with hdmi i had a customer tonight that had it working almost flawlessly except that when you switch from hd to non hd digital the screen moves to the left 3 inches power the tv off then on and it corrects itself untill you try to go to hd again and back the customer was adiment it was the darn box it was the new SA 4250 hdc box with the new cable card inside have any of you guys experianced issues like this

G-QAMreboot

• New Ranter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 10:25:26 AM »
Our company will hand out HDMI cables to try fix and open ground issue(along with installing a isolator at input of dig box). 8300dvrs will somtimes get 1 rolling bar that resembles AC hum on a analog channel. It looks like a 1inch bar that rolls very slowly. This seems to fix that issue. It also only seems to happen on Tvs with 3 pronged plugs as well.

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 08:52:36 PM »
I've seen a few issues with HDMI.
Mainly with the Sony XBR's older than the XBR4.
Mainly they will fail to connect on the HDMI handshake or will take a long time to connect.

Quote from: "snake6869"
i see you guys talk about the vizio tv and not working with hdmi i had a customer tonight that had it working almost flawlessly except that when you switch from hd to non hd digital the screen moves to the left 3 inches power the tv off then on and it corrects itself untill you try to go to hd again and back the customer was adiment it was the darn box it was the new SA 4250 hdc box with the new cable card inside have any of you guys experienced issues like this

I haven't seen that issue issue, but were exempt for a while from using Cable Card boxes, so we use the regular SA 4250HD.  I did see today, however, when a customer switched from and HDMI source to a Component source, the picture was off centered.  Basically the DVD was off centered.  Restarting the TV would fix the issue.  I advised the customer it was an issue with the TV or DVD players, since swapping the cable box didn't resolve it.  Not sure why I was even routed to this call.  I would imagine customer service would be better at troubleshooting.
Buba's Man Toys
  • Samsung LNT4061F - 40 inch HDTV
  • Samsung BD-P1500 - Blu-Ray Player
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • Samsung LN-T1954H - 19 inch HDTV
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2008, 12:05:57 AM »
Quote from: "G-QAMreboot"
Our company will hand out HDMI cables to try fix and open ground issue(along with installing a isolator at input of dig box). 8300dvrs will sometimes get 1 rolling bar that resembles AC hum on a analog channel. It looks like a 1inch bar that rolls very slowly. This seems to fix that issue. It also only seems to happen on Tvs with 3 pronged plugs as well.

Thats great that you guys handout HDMI wires to fix that issue.
We get calls for that all the time, but all we can really do it swap the box, which doesn't fix the issue.
Component wires are known for that line that floats up the screen from the bottom to the top.
It is more noticeable when the screen is dark.
If you go to any Best Buy or Circuit City, you will see that rolling bar on all their TVs since they wire the stores with component wires, instead of HDMI for cost reasons.
If you look at the Blu-Ray or HD DVD displays it won't have those lines since they are using HDMI.
If we handed out HDMI wires instead of Component wires when customers have HDMI ready TVs, it would solve so many problems and save the company money on truck rolls.
Buba's Man Toys
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

G-QAMreboot

• New Ranter
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2008, 11:51:03 AM »
I bought my HDMI cable on Ebay for $7 with shipping. People need to realize that they dont have to buy those $120 cables from best buy and circut city. Our HDMI's are from PPC and i assume we get a good deal on them considering we hand them out

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2008, 10:17:24 PM »
Quote from: "G-QAMreboot"
I bought my HDMI cable on Ebay for $7 with shipping. People need to realize that they dont have to buy those $120 cables from best buy and circut city. Our HDMI's are from PPC and i assume we get a good deal on them considering we hand them out

You're right for the most part, but if you are using a TV that supports 120 Hz, you gotta use an HDMI Version 1.3 Cable.
They don't come cheap either.
Do any of the PPC wires support HDMI Version 1.3?
Buba's Man Toys
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI