Author Topic: Contractor's Pay?  (Read 10424 times)

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
Contractor's Pay?
« on: February 13, 2008, 02:29:42 PM »
Does anyone know what contractors get paid?
I heard they normally make over $1,500 a week.
If thats true, that is way better than our pay.
Buba's Man Toys
  • Samsung LNT4061F - 40 inch HDTV
  • Samsung BD-P1500 - Blu-Ray Player
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • Samsung LN-T1954H - 19 inch HDTV
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

darkestone

• Lurker
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner Cable
Re: Contractor's Pay?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 11:40:14 PM »
nah man.. I've been all over this nation, worked both sides of the fence, and done both for telco and cableco.  It boils down to this.

If you need insurance, have a family, don't want to move around, then in-house is best for you.
If you don't mind moving, got some money to buy all the tools you need, young and single, then become a contractor.

Either way, the company has us fighting with each other (inhouse vs contractors) all the time, to keep us from actually working together against them.  Contractors think inhouse are idiots, and inhouse thinks contractors are idiots.  yeah.  we are all dumbasses...  :)

G-QAMreboot

• New Ranter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 04:19:27 PM »
Yeah. If you want to get paid by everyjob you do then a contractor is the way to go.you get a crazy amout of installs to do a day.
But you get zero benifits . Pay is great. No retirement,medical or dental.buy ALL your tools and gas and most of the time use your own vehicle..
I know of a few techs that were fired and recieved jobs as contractors ...Strange

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 07:53:42 PM »
Thanks for the info.
After hearing both sides as to what is better, I think staying with Cablevision is the way for me.
The extra pay as a contractor is attractive, but I really need the stability and benifits right now.
If I was at a different point in my life, I might look into being a contractor.
Buba's Man Toys
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

gusman98

• Lurker
    • http://www.myspace.com/royalgus
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 06:17:32 PM »
If you are working as a 1099 contractor it can be quite a hassle (carrying own liability insurance, workers comp insurance etc...).  But I am W-2 employee for a company that is contracted to TWC. Basically I get the best of both worlds. I don't have to worry about carrying my own insurance, all my taxes are taken out every week, I have health insurance provided by the company, a 401k plan, and I get paid by the line item so the more I do the more I make, unlike you lazy in house guys that can take as much time as you want cause you get paid by the hour! J/K  :P  At any rate, yes I do drive my own vehicle, but we get our mileage paid with our weekly paychecks. On the pay side we have techs that per week make anywhere from 650 to 1400 after taxes. Its all up to how much work you want to do.

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »
Quote from: "gusman98"
On the pay side we have techs that per week make anywhere from 650 to 1400 after taxes. Its all up to how much work you want to do.

Damn... On the high end of that payscale, those guys are making more than we do.
Where do we sign up?  :mrgreen:
Buba's Man Toys
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

valasek21

• Lurker
  • Cable Provider: Buck Eye Communications
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »
I am a contractor in Ohio and we make really good money, but work long long hours. We have 401K Dental vision and medical and they supply us with there company truck (mine is a 2007 F-150). All our tools are payroll deduction of $10 a week, and we are allowed to take the trucks home. The only bad part is the hours, but I think it is a great company to work for and they have really high standards as far as installs go. For instance, i have read all the negative about contractors...but here is the thing, if our "job" gets evaluated and its below specs, we lose the pay for the job. 

I typically bring home about 800-900 a week but work about 50-60 hours.

westward

• New Ranter
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 12:43:34 PM »
but thats just the thing ... you do installs .. id hate it .. i love just doing servise calls .. and learning about the plant and how thing work

lindoran

• New Ranter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 10:53:30 PM »
Yeah. If you want to get paid by everyjob you do then a contractor is the way to go.you get a crazy amout of installs to do a day.
But you get zero benifits . Pay is great. No retirement,medical or dental.buy ALL your tools and gas and most of the time use your own vehicle..
I know of a few techs that were fired and recieved jobs as contractors ...Strange

In our devision this doesn't happen because we started tracking Contractors and in house by SS# so that if you are terminated from TWC; your done might as well move to a charter area because nation wide you cant get back in.  That kind of incentive has really improved contractor work in my area. before they would just hop from one low voltage wiring company to another.  Now we've even started shearing info with the alarm company's to keep from hireling on their bad castoffs.  I don't know if this is the most ethical or fair way of handling things but it sure has made things better on our end.

Angus

• New Ranter
  • Cable Provider: East Link
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2008, 04:14:09 AM »
Hey guys, first post! I work for a contractor who does the installs for a small (compared to companies like TW anyway) cable provider in Atlantic Canada called Eastlink. Eastlink uses contractors for all their installs, only the service techs are in house.

I hope to eventually rise to the lofty position of service tech within Eastlink, or maybe some other cable provider in Canada like Shaw or Rogers. Or I may switch and go with a telephone company like Bell or Telus. I'm fairly new on my journey so I'm just sucking up the experience right now.

As far as contractor pay goes, for an employee of a contractor as I am, I would assume it is generally lower than in house techs, I know it is in my case, but that simply reflects the level of experience install techs have versus service techs.

I don't know about other cable companies but service techs at Eastlink are seasoned cable guys, not just guys who came off the street and wanted to do service tech work.

In other words you have to put your time in as an installer, which means working for a contractor, before hoping to get an in house service tech job.

Anyway, like the message board, I told everyone at work about it and some of the "stories" I read. I gotta say some of you guys working in large American cities doing this stuff are brave.

Cableguy1968

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2009, 11:14:10 PM »
At TWC,you have to put your time in as an installer before you move up to a service tech. I feel thats the best way cause you need to know how to install it before you can service it. Pay ? in-house has its advantages. With on about 5yrs experience, I make right at $40,000 a yr. + a company truck to drive home + all free cable, roadrunner and half price pay movies an pay per view events along with excellent benefits. So NO I would not be a contractor unless that was my only way to get my foot in the door. I know some techs that easy make over $50,000 yr an all with no college degree.

C2J

• displaced Dispatcher
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »
At TWC,you have to put your time in as an installer before you move up to a service tech. I feel thats the best way cause you need to know how to install it before you can service it. Pay ? in-house has its advantages. With on about 5yrs experience, I make right at $40,000 a yr. + a company truck to drive home + all free cable, roadrunner and half price pay movies an pay per view events along with excellent benefits. So NO I would not be a contractor unless that was my only way to get my foot in the door. I know some techs that easy make over $50,000 yr an all with no college degree.

You are incorrect, this isn't nationwide for TWC. They are making changes to turn into a nationwide requirement, but right now it depends on your division. In NE / Mid Ohio divisions, all techs run service calls. The difference is they are not all paid the same. Once a tech completes tech 2 training, they are recognized as a service call tech and paid as such.

C2J

• displaced Dispatcher
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 03:20:22 PM »
To the OP:

Yes, contractors get paid better on average. But, come the end of the fiscal year... TWC starts dropping contractors because their budget is overspent, so come Christmas time you're starving and barely working. In some cases, especially when gas prices spiked, some of the contractors I worked with while in dispatch were actually losing money to work... but, they had to keep picking up routes to avoid being laid off indefinitely.

A buddy of mine worked for a larger contracting company in Ohio. He worked 6 days / wk, long hours, and take home was about $36k for the year once all said and done; he did have benefits, but not nearly as good. As an inhouse, he's making roughly $24K before taxes. TWC does have decent benefits.

lukesdaddy08

• New Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Cable One
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 11:26:06 AM »
We have about 5 groups of contractors working for us right now. One group does our wall fishes, another does like apartment re-wires, some locates, and a few can we serves. We have 2 groups that do maintainance work and new build work, then one that's working on wrecking out/rebuilding an area aquired from another company. And from what i've seen we pay through the nose for this work, they make more than i do, but the benefits i get far outweigh the money.

In-house EH!

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 09:25:13 PM »
WOW In-house only making 24k????????? In Canada we In-house techs start at $25-30hr or piece work(were you can make over 100k a year) depending on your experience... I'm not sure about the smaller cable companies as I work for on of the bigger cable companies in Canada. The contractors are all piece workers and payed alot less then us In-house Tech's........I'm not trying to brag, remeber us Canadians have a higher cost of living then in the states...

exposer

• Lurker
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2009, 07:05:20 PM »
At Prince Telecom in Brooklyn N.Y. there were a group of 3 west Indian Techs who called themselves the "Blue Suit Crew" (named after the one piece blue mechanics uniform they all wore).

These guys used to make about 2K a week most of the year and about 1k in the summer. Although their repeat call rate was extremely high, due to the poor worksmanship required to do a rushed install... the bosses never fired them.

This is because

1) They were profitable for the company

2) They drank beer with the boss.

Everybody else got paid squat.

At Falcon Data Com, also in Brooklyn N.Y., techs would be lucky to clear 30k a year. Subract $115 parking tickets and gas money from this ammount. The low pay is due to lack of work given to the company by Cablevision. Although Falcon's stats were superior to that of other contractors, the owner of Falcon only owned 1 shop. The owner was not a nationwide chain like Prince. Falcon could not afford to pay the guy who gave out work to the contractors under the table. So the whole company suffered. Does Cablevision know about this? Yes. Do they care? No.

To sum it up. Installer Contractors working for Cablevision in N.Y. work a mandatory 12 hours per day, 6 days a week and get paid squat.

midspan1

• Lurker
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 08:41:59 PM »
I work as an installer/Tc  tech for a contractor for Time Warner  I Make 100k a year but then i pay 279.00wk for health I pay for gas and I pay a van payment I have been doing this for 11 years It has been getting harder and harder to make money quickly with the all in one packages with phone take alot longer to do.And  Time Warner has been hacking away at contractor pay every year I used to get 50.00 just to do a High speed on a pc now i get 18.00 but where i make my money is if i do everything  trip=3.00 reco=8.50 first tv 9.00 first dig 8.50 second tv 9.00 second box 8.50 high speed wireless 28.00 phone 30.00 so that would ad up to 104.50 so if i can do that quickly its good but it has to be done perfectly or i get charged back 104.50 plus 60.00 office charge from TW