Author Topic: How many times can you split a cable line?  (Read 10030 times)

Comcast_Rocks

• Veteran Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Comcast
How many times can you split a cable line?
« on: August 06, 2008, 10:12:53 PM »
Just a curious question. 

How many times can you split a cable line fore you lose too much signal?
Cable Box:  Motorola DCT-6412 Phase III

Eric90GT

• Lurker
Re: How many times can you split a cable line?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 07:23:16 PM »
all depends on what you have for signal to start with, and what you are using for equipment/ for example you can go thru many splitters if you are just using analog video, but too many splits, and digital cable will tile, modems will not sync after as little as 2 splits (specifically upstream with too many splitters regardless of forward signal strength).

Comcast_Rocks

• Veteran Ranter
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 10:31:17 PM »
all depends on what you have for signal to start with, and what you are using for equipment/ for example you can go thru many splitters if you are just using analog video, but too many splits, and digital cable will tile, modems will not sync after as little as 2 splits (specifically upstream with too many splitters regardless of forward signal strength).

Thanks for getting back to me.  This is good to know.
Cable Box:  Motorola DCT-6412 Phase III

helter

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:35:11 AM »

Thanks for getting back to me.  This is good to know.

as well as type and distance of cable used. Generally daisy chaining 2 way splitters limits you pretty quick, while home runs can support more, and witha home run at your limit you can amplify to add more, not so easy to do with daisy chains.

Home run means running ALL outlets to one central location where the drop comes into your house, daisy chaining means taking 2 way splitter, and feeding one leg to an outlet, the next to another 2 way, and repeating until all outlets are fed, the problem with this is you lose basically 4 db at each splitter, so lets say you have 4 outlets, you lose, 4 on outlet 1, 8 on outlet 2, 12 on outlet 3, and 16 on outlet 4. Compare that to using an 8 way splitter at a home run where all outlets would lose 10 from the splitter. Generally my FFO provides enough for 4 outlets without an amp.

Kingfisher2

• Surprise :) You've been egged. I counldn't help myself when I saw this in the shop :)
  • New Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner Cable
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »
Home Run everything. Problem solved.

Eric90GT

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:07:35 PM »
Home Run everything. Problem solved.

yes, because that's always a possibility  ::)

Technician #3130

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:46:50 PM »
If all else fails thats what house amps are for! Or in some cases dual drops.