Author Topic: Cablevision Making Changes to HD Lineup  (Read 14200 times)

CableDude101

• Seasoned Ranter
    • http://www.cablerant.com
Cablevision Making Changes to HD Lineup
« on: September 12, 2008, 01:54:09 PM »
Cablevision Making Changes to HD Lineup

In what www.CableRant.com believes to be an industry first, Cablevision is planning to make the HD feed of a channel the only option for their customers with HD equipment.

This means that if you have a high definition cable box and tune it to channel 2, which is normally standard definition, your box will automatically show the high definition feed (that will still be accessible on channel 702).

Cablevision will only be doing this for HD feeds that are a direct simulcast of the standard definition version.  Good examples are TLC, the major networks and HBO.

Channels that are not direct simulcast, such as Universal HD or Discovery Theatre, will have to be accessed by going to the 700s.

Our sources tell us that the testing is only a few days away.  Stay tuned to www.CableRant.com for further developments.

Speculation of this topic has also been confirmed by member Bullwinkle in the Cablevision forums.
See Cablevision Forum Topic: No longer need to go to 700's for HD Channels?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:02:21 PM by TrueQAM »

charter_hate

• New Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Charter Communications
Re: Cablevision Making Changes to HD Lineup
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:09:24 PM »
You guys always get the good stuff.
I wish Cablevision was in our area.
Equipment:
 - Motorola DCX 3510-M

mws192

• Veteran Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:11:46 PM »
I hope their's a way to turn it off.  Even though it's considered a simulcast station, sometimes ESPN blacks out the HD feed and has different games on the sd channel.  This weekend's a good example (read the text in the bottom right of the pic). 

mws192

• Veteran Ranter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 03:33:35 PM »
Sorry for the back to back posts, but one more thought....

While many have been waiting for this and I think it's a conceptually good idea, if we're forced to watch a channel that's stretch-o-vision with no way of tuning to the 4:3 sd feed, I think they'll hear alot of complaints.

Bullwinkle

• You've been Egg'd by vz_grunt
  • Veteran Ranter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
I hope their's a way to turn it off.  Even though it's considered a simulcast station, sometimes ESPN blacks out the HD feed and has different games on the sd channel.  This weekend's a good example (read the text in the bottom right of the pic). 

Wow, I never knew that about ESPN.  I wonder if Cablevision will consider ESPN a simulcast network.  I would assume they are smart enough not to.

jpr281

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:58:53 PM »
Might be a little tricky going 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 if you don't have it set to fixed 1080i or 720p, because we all know how fast these boxes are. I like this move, though. DirecTV's had this for a while.

Will the firmware be faster/slower/same? There better be an option to turn it off in Settings, for the 2 reasons above.

standard

• Seasoned Ranter
    • Manhattan Ignition
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 10:28:38 PM »
About time, something like this came out.
Equipment
Sony KDL52W4100
Scientific Atlanta SA 8300HD
Sony KDL40V4100
Scientific Atlanta 4250HD
Scientific Atlanta 5120V

http://www.manign.com

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 01:34:35 PM »
I heard about this project about 7 months ago.   For the channels that are not exact simulcasts you will still have to go to the 700's.  The weather channel is a perfect example of this.  Only the channels that are exact simulcast will be mapped to the regular channel numbers.  I believe this only applies to roughly 20 channels.

Does anyone know which channels are exact simulcasts?
Buba's Man Toys
  • Samsung LNT4061F - 40 inch HDTV
  • Samsung BD-P1500 - Blu-Ray Player
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • Samsung LN-T1954H - 19 inch HDTV
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

jpr281

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 04:45:47 PM »
I believe this only applies to roughly 20 channels.
Is this number before or after the recent 15 HD channel additions?

mws192

• Veteran Ranter
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »

harrelson 69

• Veteran Ranter
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »
When will this become available in Brooklyn, NY?

nyranger74

• New Ranter
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 03:15:17 PM »
This doesn't excite me that much.  Add more HD!!!!

robertf390

• New Ranter
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 04:31:18 PM »
I agree - they should be concentrating on adding more of the HD services available instead of this useless busy work. From my perspective they have a lot of catching up to do given Verizon FIOS now offers 100 HD channels. The rumors from earlier this year about adding the Premium HD services (HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax) has long since past and given they charge a premium for these services, they should have made this a priority - FIOS did.

This is just another example of misguided prioroties - same as with the Free on Demand enhancements. They advertise HD is TV of the future and spend their efforts on SD programming enhancements. They reclaimed 10 analog channels supposedly for HD additions (after moving VOOM to SDV) - which only resulted in the 15 new HD additions in 2008. Very disappointing.

dm145

• Veteran Ranter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 12:19:31 PM »
This will help promote HD and insure customers are actually watching HD. Any roll out schedule? I am tired of asking my wife to change to the HD channel.

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 11:02:35 PM »
This will help promote HD and insure customers are actually watching HD. Any roll out schedule? I am tired of asking my wife to change to the HD channel.

From what I heard, probably first or second quarter 2009 it will roll out.
They are testing it now and waiting to see customer a reaction.
Changes like this with likely cause a spike in call volume to the call centers, so imagine they will roll it out gradually region by region to ensure the call center is now swamped with too many calls coming in from confused customers.
Buba's Man Toys
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

dm145

• Veteran Ranter
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 07:47:34 PM »
I missed this cause I come straight to this forum.
5 new HD channels coming in October:

http://www.cablerant.com/index.php?topic=943.0

goon

• Lurker
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner Cable
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 01:08:07 PM »
I have a problem with the lack of a defeat for this feature.  It applies to DVR space usage.  SD feeds take up about 1/6th the disk space that the HD version does, even if all they've done is a pointless upconversion.  Some shows are pointless in HD (the Simpsons and other animated programs), and there's no need for it to use the last of my disk space on such programs.

angyl2314

• Lurker
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 01:37:40 PM »
I am so bothered by this switch from standard definition to high definition as our only option.  My boyfriend and I are both Cablevision subscribers who heavily rely on our DVRs, and with being forced to record our shows in HD we are losing the recording space we are accustommed to.  We called Cablevision last night and they gave us some useless song and dance about it being a convenience for the customers, and that we were all being upgraded.  Although they mentioned a more accommodating box with greater storage capacity, there was no assurance as to when that might be.  We were told that we had the option of independently purchasing our own external hard drives to help with storage.  We each have 2 boxes, so we have to come out of our own expense to purchase 4 external drives for a decision we had absolutely no input in???  Although we have chosen to remain faithful to Cablevision in the past, with the uprising of FiOS, I have to say we are no more closely exploring our options.

buba_cv

• Seasoned Ranter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 08:25:05 AM »
I am so bothered by this switch from standard definition to high definition as our only option.  My boyfriend and I are both Cablevision subscribers who heavily rely on our DVRs, and with being forced to record our shows in HD we are losing the recording space we are accustomed to.  We called Cablevision last night and they gave us some useless song and dance about it being a convenience for the customers, and that we were all being upgraded.  Although they mentioned a more accommodating box with greater storage capacity, there was no assurance as to when that might be.  We were told that we had the option of independently purchasing our own external hard drives to help with storage.  We each have 2 boxes, so we have to come out of our own expense to purchase 4 external drives for a decision we had absolutely no input in???  Although we have chosen to remain faithful to Cablevision in the past, with the uprising of FiOS, I have to say we are no more closely exploring our options.

You may not like it, but this is something most customers are asking for.
Buba's Man Toys
  • SA 8300HD - HD DVR
  • SA 4250HD - HD STB
  • Mono Price HDMI

mike09

• New Ranter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 09:17:31 AM »